Explore a Tactical Forensic scenario


Shannon Army Real Stories Shannon Army Real Stories
My Role

“I had a keen interest in law enforcement, so I decided to join the Military Police for a different experience."

Shannon Army Real Stories Shannon Army Real Stories
My Values

“I want to be one of those women that’s making an impact for women and for mothers.”

Shannon Army Real Stories Shannon Army Real Stories
My Team

“The camaraderie, the friendships that you make, and the overall experience is amazing.”

Typical milestones of a Military Police member


These FAQs might help you with what’s involved in applying and the different opportunities and pathways you can take.


How do I apply

To start your application, simply find a job you’re interested in then apply online or over the phone on 13 19 01. Online, you’ll need to set up an account on the Defence Jobs website with your details and job preferences. These details will come in handy during your initial YOU session with a DFR recruiter.

What is a method of entry?

This is simply how you apply to join the Army. There are many ways to apply, based on your qualifications and experience. These include direct entry, studying for a university degree through the Australian Defence Force Academy; being sponsored to complete university through Defence University Sponsorship; or applying for Part-Time (Reserve) positions. Learn more about the different methods of entry.


Can I combine A Tertiary Education with A Military career?

Yes. The Army is a great place to make the most of your education. We'll even sponsor you to study, whether it's at the Australian Defence Force Academy or an Australian university of your choice.

  • Australian Defence Force Academy: ADFA is where the ADF educates our future leaders. Here, you'll undertake world-class military training whilst studying for a recognised degree from the University of New South Wales; and you'll be paid to study your degree.
  • Defence University Sponsorship: If you're studying an accredited degree at any recognised Australian university, the Army can sponsor your education. You'll automatically become a member of the Army and be paid a salary while you complete your degree.
  • Defence Assisted Study Scheme: This scheme gives you time off from the Army to complete classes and sit exams in any relevant university course.


What leadership roles can I Perform in the army?

Just about every role in the Army gives you the opportunity to lead. Obviously, the more experience you gain, the more opportunities you will have to lead and manage people.

If you're looking for a leadership-focused role, you can apply to become a General Service Officer and study at the Royal Military College, Duntroon. Or if you have specialist skills (including PR, legal, engineering, medicine or nursing) you may be eligible to become a Specialist Service Officer.

What skills will I gain that are useful in civilian life?

Regardless of the role you choose to pursue, the personal qualities and professional skills you gain will be invaluable if you decide to establish a career outside the Army. In particular, leadership, management and teamwork skills are developed from the moment you commence training. Other skills that you will develop include self-discipline, time management and attention to detail. For many Army jobs, the training and skills you learn will be recognised Australia-wide and you may be awarded the equivalent civilian qualifications.

The Army has established the Defence Assisted Study Scheme (DASS), which encourages members to develop professionally. DASS helps cover the costs of studying at an Australian public education or vocational training institution, which this includes public universities, institutes of technology, colleges of advanced education and secondary schools.

Family Support

Do parents get flexible working hours in the ADF?

After the completion of initial training requirements ADF members may be eligible to work part time (reduced hours or days), to work from home or from alternate work location. However, the approval for such arrangements will depend on the unit role and requirements. Such arrangements may not be practical or possible in higher readiness units. Where possible ADF commanders will assist their unit members to balance their work and family obligations.

What are the living arrangements if I have a partner and/or family?

After the completion of the initial training requirements ADF members with families are not required to live on base. They can choose to reside in their own home, or rent high-quality subsidised accommodation from Defence Housing Australia. Find out more on the Defence Housing Australia website.

Could I get posted to another state if I have a family?

Yes, it's possible. However, you will be given ample leave and financial assistance to help you and your family move. The Defence Member and Family Support is also there to help settle your family into a new community, with things like kids' education needs and employment assistance for your partner.

Is it possible to be posted close to where my family lives?

The ADF offers enlistment pathways to female and Indigenous Australian applicants that include a Recruit to Area scheme, for posting close to family or support networks. Find out more at Women in the ADF and People & Diversity.

What happens if I’m away from home and a family member gets sick?

If your next of kin becomes seriously ill, the ADF may provide you with emergency leave and free travel back to your home location.

Does the ADF provide maternity and paternity leave?

Yes, the ADF provides 52 weeks total maternity leave to pregnant members of the ADF. For women who've served 12 months or more, the first 14 weeks of this leave is at full pay, or you may choose to take 28 weeks at half pay. The remainder of your maternity leave will normally be unpaid. You can also choose to substitute your paid recreation leave or long service leave for unpaid maternity leave.

How does the ADF support families?

The ADF is committed to making sure that parents can still raise their kids, even while they serve their country in the Army.

That’s why the Defence Member and Family Support (DMFS) offers a broad range of programs and services to help Defence families make the most of the challenges and opportunities provided by the military way of life. A range of programs and services are available such as: 24 hour support, support during deployment and time apart, support during relocation, partner employment and education, children's education, childcare, dependants with special needs, emergency and crisis support, community connection, transitioning to civilian life and more.

The DMFS website has a range of information that can assist:

What support does the ADF provide for Defence children?

Children of Defence families face a unique series of challenges. They can experience parental absence during deployments, and often experience major change in their lives due to relocations and new schools.

To help reduce the impacts of relocation and parental absence on Defence children and build on their strengths, the Defence Member and Family Support:

  • Provides a range of education assistance.
  • Increases the availability of childcare to mobile Defence families.
  • Positions Aides and Mentors in schools to help Defence students integrate into new schools and provide them with support.
  • Produces information and resources for parents to help children develop strategies to deal with the challenges of Defence life.
  • Provides regional education information for relocating families.
  • Employs Regional Education Liasion Officers who advise families and schools on education issues and Defence student wellbeing.
  • Offers products and programs designed to help kids and teenagers deal with challenges that might arise as a child of a serving Defence Force member.

What childcare options are available?

The ADF believes in supporting families and we know childcare is important to those with young children. Defence Child Care Centres are located in key areas around Australia, providing priority access to childcare for Defence families where the local community is unable to meet childcare demand.

The ADF is working towards providing childcare services in locations of high need, however where these services are not currently provided, external childcare services will be required. It is the responsibility of the serving member to ensure appropriate childcare services for their family members are in place.

How will my children cope with school transition if we move?

Moving to a new place and a new school is, for many, a part of life. The ADF understands that this can be especially difficult for kids.

The Defence Member and Family Support provides educational support by providing advice to ADF families on education needs, and can provide support with all aspects of your child's school transition. Additionally, the Defence School Transition Assistance Program provides support through Defence Aides and Defence Mentors located within select primary and secondary schools where there are a significant number of Defence families. Find out more on the Defence Member and Family Support website.


Here's Shannon's role and similar jobs.