How to Apply
Applying for ADFA is a competitive, dual application process that can take up to 12 months. It's preferable you apply in Year 11, but you can still apply in Year 12.
ADFA Information Sessions
Find out about studying at ADFA from graduates and recruiters. For the next date in your local city call 13 19 01 or follow us on Facebook.
Next ADFA Open Day
Experience ADFA, meet staff and students, take a tour and view military displays.
When: Saturday 25 August 2018
Time: 9.00am to 4.00pm
Where: Northcott Drive in Campbell, ACT
To arrange a tour of ADFA at another time, call the ADFA Visits Liaison Officer on (02) 6268 8541.
- Australian citizen or hold permanent resident status
- At least 16 years old when applying and for first interview and 17 on entry
- Completed Year 12 with passes that meet UNSW requirements for your chosen degree
- At least 152cm tall
- Reasonably fit and healthy, and with an acceptable Body Mass Index
Gender, race, religion, sexuality and marital status have no impact on ADF selection.
Explore the jobs that match each ADFA degree on the Job Search page.
Apply for the job online or by calling 13 19 01, selecting 'ADFA' as the method of entry.
Army Officer candidates apply for a General Service Officer role, as specific jobs are not confirmed until after graduation and Officer training.
- Attend a Your Opportunities Unlimited (YOU) Session (preferably in Year 11 or early 12)
- Attend an Assessment Day with a psychological interview, medical assessment and ADF interview
- Attend an Officer Selection Board in Canberra
- Receive offer from the ADF subject to passing Year 12
- Accept ADF offer (subject to passing Pre-Entry Fitness Assessment and final medical)
- Next stop Canberra! Welcome to ADFA!
ADFA Education Award
Applications open (of the year the applicant is in Year 11)
Applications close (of the year the applicant is in Year 12)
Officer Selection Board
Notification of award winners
Second school term
Presentation of awards
January the year after you graduate from Year 12^
Entry to ADFA
* Boards are held in Canberra (travel, accommodation and meals provided).
^ Subject to Year 12 final results in competition with other applicants.
Officer Selection Boards are held in Canberra in April, June/July and September/October. As ADFA has a dual admission process, you also need to be aware of deadlines for UAC submissions.
To be eligible for the award, you must be studying Year 11 subjects that meet both the educational qualifications for admission to the University of New South Wales (UNSW) and single Service entry requirements. You must submit an application prior to 28 February in the year you undertake Year 12. However, you are encouraged to apply in Year 11. You may apply for all three Services, however, you will only be assessed for the Education Award against your first preference. If you are successful, you will only receive the award if you are enrolled in Year 12 at the time of the award presentation and you meet the age requirements for ADFA entry.
The application process comprises the ADFA entry aptitude test, medical testing and a series of interviews including an Officer Selection Board (OSB). Receipt of the ADFA Education Award does not guarantee you entry into ADFA, as you will still be in national competition against other candidates for entry.
The ADFA Education Award is unbonded, which means there is no obligation to accept an offer to attend ADFA, nor is there any obligation on the Australian Defence Force to offer appointment to you if you are an award winner.
A representative of the Australian Defence Force will present the award to you at a school assembly in the second school term of Year 12.